At Lancaster University I teach Masters courses in Critical Discourse Analysis (as part of the MA in Discourse Studies) and Cognitive Linguistics. I also teach Language Evolution at undergraduate level.
At doctoral level, I am happy to receive proposals for research projects in any area combining critical discourse analysis and cognitive linguistics but would especially welcome proposals which, from this perspective, address the following:
- The conceptual and ideological import of grammatical constructions
- Metaphor, including visual metaphor in political/media discourse
- The use/development of experimental methods in critical discourse analysis
- Event-structure in political/media discourse
- Modality, evidentiality and axiological evaluation in political/media discourse
- Visuo-spatial properties of conceptualisation and their ideological function in political/media discourse
- The mapping between meaning elements in language and image
- Semantic annotation in linguistic and visual data
To see what my current students are working on click here.